Japanese Arms and Armour by Ian Bottomley
"A skilful introduction to traditional Japanese arms and armour, combining scholarly clarity with intriguing insights”
– Natasha Bennett, Acting Curator, Oriental Collection.
Japan is a mysterious and beguiling country, steeped in the deepest of traditions yet strikingly modern. Here, Curator Emeritus Ian Bottomley sheds light on one of the most popular facets of the Royal Armouries’ collection, reflecting this mesmeric harmony of reverence and reinvention. He offers an overview of Japanese arms and armour from the middle ages to the twentieth century, describing sword-making, firearms technology, key military campaigns and samurai culture in the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’.
Taking a historical perspective, the book covers:
- The Classic Period (to 1467)
- The Country at War (1467-1543)
- The Arrival of the Gun (1543-1603)
- The Edo Period (1603-1853)
- The Final Flowering (1853 and beyond)
The book forms part of a series of introductions to aspects of the Royal Armouries’ collection of arms and armour. Written by specialists in the field, they are packed full of fascinating information and stunning photography.
Brand: Royal Armouries
Author: Ian Bottomley
Publisher: Royal Armouries
Date: 13 March 2017
- Select a delivery option at the checkout. We offer standard, insured and express options. Please note: express delivery is only available on UK orders.
- Charges are calculated depending on location and weight (for international orders).
- More information on our "Delivery & Returns" page.
How do I return my order?
To initiate the returns process, contact the Royal Armouries retail team using the contact details in the footer of this website. We will then issue you with a returns authorisation number, which we ask you to keep a note of and include with the returned items. Once we have received the returned items, we will begin the refund process, taking into consideration the condition of the returned products.